By Tom Lamond ©
   The G. White Axe Company evolved from the business started by Ezekiel White and his son Ephraim E. White. The time was in the early 1820s and they were located in what is now Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, in a town called Dundaff. Subsequent advertisements indicated that the company had been established in 1836. That date may have been considered to be when the blacksmithing operation formally became an axe making enterprise.
   In 1846, possibly after the older White retired or passed away,  Ephraim E. White built a factory at Tracyville, adjacent to Carley Brook. Tracyville was a community some fifteen miles or so southeast of Dundaff. Over time his three sons, Gilbert G., Joseph and C. J. entered the business. Tracyville was quite near to Honesdale and indications are that Honesdale, the more recognized community, was commonly noted as the company location.
    Around 1857 the company name was changed to G. White & Bros. Gilbert was the youngest of the three and in 1862 the two older Whites retired which left Gilbert entirely in charge. By 1872 an individual identified as R. W. Ham had become a partner and the company name became G. White & Co. Business papers in the form of a fire insurance company map indicated the company name might have been G. White & Ham Company. Another reference observed included a graphic of an axe label that appeared in an 1893 Supplee Hardware Co. Catalog. A couple of pages had axes depicted that bore a label indicating it was made by G. White & Ham. That same label depiction included the brand STUB & TWIST. Actually there were three patterns of axes listed in conjunction with the graphic.
    It may be that the company was usually identified and worked under the name of the G. White Axe Co. but for some time it was actually  G. White & Ham. In any case it was used on brochures in 1899 along with the names G. M. Genung and G. L. Meyer.
    The name was also used on company stationery around 1919 and probably earlier. The STUB & TWIST brand was registered by L. J. Eddy of Honesdale, PA. on May 30, 1916 as No. 110,533. It was claimed to have been in use since 1866.
    The factory was destroyed by fire in 1894. After it was rebuilt the company continued production until it was completely closed in 1928.
    A curious marking involves an over-stamp or secondary stamp where the name CHAMPION AXE CO. was applied in conjunction with the name G. WHITE AXE CO. The brand OLD RELIABLE was stamped multiple times directly on top of the G. WHITE AXE CO. marking. The HONESDALE, PA. mark remained intact. This suggests that an attempt was made to hide only the G. WHITE AXE CO. mark, perhaps to satisfy an order for axes with a specific marking and resulted in a hurry-up but poor attempt to remark the axe. It may also indicate that the CHAMPION AXE CO. obtained additional stock from the G. WHITE AXE CO. The CHAMPION AXE CO. was an alias name used by the Mann Edge Tool Co. of Lewistown, Pennsylvania. The M. E. T. Co.  may have purchased the remains of the G. WHITE AXE CO. when they ceased doing business and subsequently the M. E. T. Co.  may have remarked the axes involved .
    Another unanswered question is a reference to Sager & White as an axe making company. Indications are that Sager & White, preceded the G. White Axe Co. and quite possibly the Sager that was involved was William J. Sager’s father or some other relative but it wasn’t the William J. Sager that invented the Sager Chemical Process. The time frame for Sager & White precedes William J. Sager. The Sager & White axe making business was located in Yeagerstown which close to Lewistown but quite a distance from Honesdale or Scranton.
White, Gilbert T.
G. White
G. White & Bros.
G. White & Co.  
G. White & Ham  
G. White Axe Co.
G. White Co.        
Murray & Co.
1836  -1846
1846  -1857
1857  -1862?
1872  -1899
1899  -1928
1828  -1930?
Handmade "Stub & Twist" Inlaid-bitt Axes. The G. White Axe Co., Honesdale, PA. Makers of old-fashioned Inlaid-bitt axes, especially Double-Bitts and Steel Polls (with hardened heads) for Lumbermen and Con-struction Men. An axe of strictly hammered quality,  warranted  to  satisfy or money back. An axe for loggers, farmers, contractors, workmen on railroads, telegraph lines, docks, and all sledge-axe uses.
Write up as it appeared in the 1917 Thomas' Register.
Representations of stampings as used on some axe heads in addition to paper label.
Over-stamped marking applied to a G. White Axe Co. axe.
Subject to revision.
Logo used on company letterheads ca 1919.
Facsimile of a paper label as it appeared in a wholesale hardware company catalog dated 1893.
Facsimiles of paper labels believed to have been used after the G. WHITE & HAM label was used.
Facsimiles of paper labels believed to have been used after 1900.